Unitil, (www.unitil.com), a provider of natural gas and electricity to customers in New England, urges the public to keep natural gas meters, heating and appliance exhaust vents clear of snow and ice to prevent carbon monoxide buildup within their homes.
The nor’easter still impacting the region has left significant amounts of snow around people’s homes. Heavy, wet or blowing snow can block heating and appliance exhaust vents which can cause equipment to malfunction resulting in a loss of heat or the possibility of a deadly buildup of carbon monoxide in the building. As snow accumulates, Unitil advises the public to take the following steps:
Keeping vents and meters clear will allow for proper ventilation and can prevent carbon monoxide buildup within your home.
Customers experiencing electric outages should call the following toll-free numbers:
You can also report outages online here.
About Unitil Corporation
Unitil Corporation provides energy for life by safely and reliably delivering natural gas and electricity in New England. We are committed to the communities we serve and to developing people, business practices, and technologies that lead to dependable, more efficient energy. Unitil Corporation is a public utility holding company with operations in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Together, Unitil’s operating utilities serve approximately 101,700 electric customers and 73,700 natural gas customers. Other subsidiaries include Usource, Unitil’s non-regulated business segment. For more information about our people, technologies, and community involvement, please visit www.unitil.com.
For more information please contact:
Media Relations Manager